Hot soup is a wonderful meal in itself or a great way to begin dinner on a cold day. This is one of my favorite soups and it's very simple to make. 4 Servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 fennel bulb, chopped
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. When hot, add the onion, celery, garlic and fennel. Cook until the vegetables are tender, about 4 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and chicken broth and simmer 3 to 4 minutes
- Remove from the heat and add the basil and parsley. Puree the soup with an emersion blender or cool slightly and puree in a standard blender.
- Season with salt and pepper. Serve hot.