Tomato Pie is a wonderful snack or small meal. This is one of my favorite pies and it's very simple to make.
2 ½ c. Self rising flour, sifted
2 T unsalted butter, cold
2 T Vegetable Shortening
¼ c. Grated Cheddar cheese
½ c. Buttermilk (or ¼ c. whole milk ¼ c. unsweetned yogurt
2 T. Unsalted Butter
½ Vidalia onion, chopped
1 stalk Celery, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
3 c. baby pear or cherry tomatoes cut in half
2 T. all purpose flour
1 egg white beaten with 2 T. water
2 T. Grated Parmesan cheese
- For the cheese pastry, in a food processor, add the flour, butter, shortening and grated cheese.
- Using the pulse button on the food processor, add the flour butter, shortening and grated cheese.
- Gradually add the buttermilk-it will make a ball
- Remove from the food processor and refrigerate covered.
- For the tomato filling, heat the butter in a sauté pan over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, garlic, and pepper. Cook until the vegetables are soft.
- Add the tomatoes and the all-purpose flour, tossing well.
- Season with salt and pepper, remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- To assemble, remove the dough from the refrigerator and split in half.
- Coat and 8 inch tart or pie pan with vegetable spray.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out in a circle, ¼ in thick, and press into the pan. Avoid stretching the dough.
- Fill with the tomato mixture.
- Take the second ball and roll it into a flat disk, cutting it into strips with a sharp knife or pastry wheel. Place the strips over the top of the pie. Then lay the strips in the opposite direction, creating a basket weave design.
- Refrigerate the pie and preheat the oven to 400 degrees farenheit.
- Remove the pie from the refreigerator and brush with the egg-white wash, sprinkle with parmesan and cheddar cheese and place in the oven. Bake for 10 minutes